MSI H81M-P33 Intel H81 Micro ATX Motherboard
While this is still a great option for a HTPC build, it’s just not as strong as some of the other models you could pick to work with an Intel CPU. This board has only two slots for memory, while many other options have four, and supports only up to 16GB of 1600 DDR3 RAM. That should be plenty of memory for a HTPC, but only having two slots limits the way in which you can set up your RAM, and makes this choice a poor option for building a powerful HTPC to also work as a gaming rig. You get one PCIe 2.0 x16 slot on this board, which works well for a solid middle-of-the-road video card, but won’t work if you want to use a PCIe 3.0 graphics card. There are only four total SATA ports on this board, two SATA3 and two SATA2 connections which is less than most other comparable boards. That limits how many hard drives you can set up with this board, so keep that in mind if you want a ton of storage.
- GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+ AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
- Gigabyte Intel Z97 LGA 1150 Micro ATX Motherboard GA-Z97M-DS3H
- ASRock Micro ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97M PRO4
- Gigabyte AM3+ AMD DDR3 1333 760G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard GA-78LMT-USB3
- MSI H81M-P33 Intel H81 Micro ATX Motherboard